Strategic planning is vital for clarifying an organization’s mission, vision, and goals, and for establishing measurable goals and action plans. Planning programs and services focus on organizational review and the facilitation of interdisciplinary and interdepartmental collaboration
- Strategic Planning Services – A modular approach to strategic planning that allows an organization to follow a step-by-step process tailored to its particular planning needs. ODL provides professional assistance, facilitation, workshops, and materials. Click here for a list of Rutgers units and other colleges and universities that have used this model. Click here to order book.
- Project Planning and Implementation – Strategies and assistance in translating academic and administrative unit missions, future aspirations, and priorities into project plans
Assessment programs and services engage faculty and staff in the evaluation of the work of their organization and in the identification of strengths and priorities for improvement.
- Excellence in Higher Education Organizational Assessment Program – Facilitated, comprehensive organizational self-assessment sessions using the nationally recognized Excellence in Higher Education (EHE) model, developed by Dr. Brent Ruben, which adapts the Malcolm Baldrige Quality Award program to the language and culture of higher education. Organizations that complete an EHE assessment develop a useful inventory of achievements and areas for improvement, clear priorities for enhancement, and action plans for implementing those improvements. Click here for a list of Rutgers units and other colleges and universities that have used this model. Click here to order book.
Development of a comprehensive array of measures of effectiveness reflective of the organization’s mission, aspirations, priority projects, or goals
- The Mission Alignment and Assessment Planning system (MAAP) was developed to clarify the contributions of various programs and units to the fulfillment of the Rutgers-New Brunswick undergraduate educational experience mission/goals, and to facilitate and encourage assessment and alignment of outcomes and progress toward those goals.
Click here to see MAAP: An Integrative Strategy for Mission Alignment, Assessment, and Planning in Complex University Communities in the ODL For the Record.
Workplace Climate Measurement and Analysis
Identifying quantitative and qualitative models and methods for evaluating programs and services, stakeholder expectations, and operational effectiveness and efficiency by identifying and designing outcome measures and key performance indicators, and assisting with the establishment of systems, including dashboards, to track effectiveness over time; working with programs and departments to assess the current workplace climate and design strategies to enhance the factors that contribute to employee engagement and workplace satisfaction. Sample survey questions for the Staff Climate Inventory Sample Survey and Faculty Climate Inventory Sample Survey. See ODL’s Organizational Development series available online from the National Association of College and University Business Administrators (NACUBO) for complete climate assessment surveys.
Strategic Communication Design
ODL supports units and individual leaders with the design of strategic communication plans and processes. Academic and administrative units and leaders can approach communication design through an ODL framework that includes a systematic process of analyzing the situation, defining core audience(s), clarifying goal(s), selecting and implementing plan(s) of action, and debriefing. This process can be facilitated through one-on-one or small group consultation meetings or large group interventions.
Change Planning and Implementation
Communication is critical when facilitating change within an organization. This customized, step-by-step approach to the articulation and implementation of communication strategies is intended to support leadership organizational change efforts.
Cross-Organizational Program Development
While cross-organizational teams are recognized as enhancing processes in many organizations, collaborative approaches to improvement and innovation are not always easy. This structured model focuses on interpersonal interaction, shared leadership, and commitment to common goals as a means to move from individual to group outcomes.
Contact us for information on customized programs related to:
- Benchmarking Leading Practices – Evaluating the organization in relation to others noted as models
- Innovation Planning and Implementation – Guidance in collaborative strategies for leaders undertaking change initiatives within their units
- Leadership Communication Strategy – Exploration and application of leadership communication strategies to support organizational change
- Organizational Culture Analysis – Tools and facilitation for understanding an organization’s culture
- Organizational and Leadership Process Effectiveness – Process analysis and improvement planning
Contact us for information about customized services related to:
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Organizational Assessment
- Project Review and Debriefing
- Environmental Scanning