Research and development programs and services support the creation of new, innovative and cross-cutting programs, benchmarking and the transfer of leading ideas and practices supported by research and publication on issues of higher education leadership and organizational development.
The Center sponsors and supports organizational development innovations by serving as an “incubator” for projects that begin as start-up experiments. As they develop and become self-sustaining, the projects are adopted by appropriate campus units or are institutionalized as university-wide programs or services. Examples of ODL incubator projects are:
- The Rutgers Retired Faculty and Staff Association serves as the official university-sponsored retiree organization of Rutgers University. It aims to enhance collaboration, coordination, and consistency among the current various university retiree organizations and to provide a single association that guides the connections between retired faculty and staff and the university. Its primary functions include pre- and post-retirement programing and information sharing about retiree-specific university benefits; programs, and activities; promotion of social and professional interactions, and matching retiree expertise and university volunteer activities.
- The Interdisciplinary Project. The Interdisciplinary Project focuses on the opportunities and challenges associated with planning and successfully implementing interdisciplinary initiatives within higher education. In this effort, ODL is collaborating with the Rutgers Institute for Food, Nutrition and Health, and faculty and professional staff from Rutgers and the Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine.
- Mission Assessment, Alignment, and Planning (MAAP). The MAAP project is being developed in collaboration with the School of Arts and Sciences and a Task Force of representatives from various academic and academic support units, student life, and administrative and service units across the university. The project provides a unique way to capture and visually display the ways in which programs across the university contribute to the undergraduate experience.
Publications and Resources
For The Record – A publication devoted to interdisciplinary innovations where organizational, leadership, and communication studies intersect.
- An exploratory study of academic leadership education within the Association of American Universities
- Communication: Sine Qua Non of Organizational Leadership Theory and Practice
- Leadership as Social Influence: An Expanded View of Leadership Communication Theory and Practice
- Preparing Higher Education Leaders: A Conceptual, Strategic, and Operational Approach
- Volume 1(1) – Through Patients’ Eyes: New and Not-so-New Health Communication Challenges and Opportunities
- Volume 1(2) – MAAP: An Integrative Strategy for Mission Alignment, Assessment, and Planning in Complex University Communities
- Growing Your Own, A Proactive Approach to Leadership Development
- Intercultural Communication Behavioral Guides
- Leadership Competencies Scorecard
- Snapshot of BTAA Leadership Programs 2017
- Snapshots of Academic and Senior Administrator Leadership Programs at Big Ten Academic Alliance Universities
- Documenting and Recognizing Academic Leaders – This study examined the role of department chairs and other academic leaders and proposed methods through which Rutgers could recognize academic leadership
- Results of Lumina-NACUBO National Study of Rutgers Excellence in Higher Education
- Rutgers 2003: A Progress Report – A review of the themes and recommendations outlined in the Red Tape Report
- Advancing Community Engagement. Report prepared for the W. K. Kellogg Foundation Leadership for Institutional Change Initiative (LINC)
- Benchmarking Study of Leadership Training Programs for Undergraduate Medical Students
Books and CDs
ODL’s Organizational Development series is available online from the National Association of College and University Business Administrators (NACUBO). Available topics include:
- Organizational Assessment and Performance Measurement,
- Process Excellence
- Organizational Climate Assessment
- Facilitating Focus Groups
- The Leadership Style Inventory (LSI): Becoming a Strategic Leader
- The Communication Style Inventory (CSI): A Guide to Social and Professional Competence